FAQs for PTI; Clear the confusions and misconceptions
Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf FAQ's. This is a work in progres. All members are encouraged to read and use it in different forums, blogs, chat rooms to counter criticisms on PTI.
The FAQs have been written by Syed Javed, Firdous Naqvi & Dr. Arif Alvi.
- In theory a party would play puppet to the “establishment” in return for gaining unfair advantage at the polls. PTI is aggressively pursuing the need to have clear and transparent elections; PTI is in constant contact with the Election Commission of Pakistan to have as many people registered as voter as they possibly can. We have been persistent in our views on, issues like, the War on Terror, the need for resolving internal conflict through dialogue, and the merits of local governance.
- Back in the days when the US and establishment was opposed to resolution of conflict through dialogue, Imran Khan was labeled Taliban Khan. Now that the establishment has adopted a view similar to ours, it is unfair to label PTI as playing the establishment's game.
- Critics who cannot comprehend the rate at which PTI program for change is becoming popular put up such clichés
- Truly popular movements and parties don't need props. We have no skeletons in the party closet and we believe in clear and transparent election.
- With people supporting us we don't need to look anywhere else. We have always been very clear that we only want constitutional change. The army has been and remains a player and we recognize the reality but we neither support nor seek their involvement as an institution in governance.
- PTI has no intention of unconstitutionally derailing the present democratic government, but at the same time, it is the right of every citizen to protest against the corrupt rulers with the aim to force them to amend their ways or at the very least expose them so they won't get re-elected.
- Turn coats are people who vote against party line in return for personal gains. Then there are those that change allegiance on not being nominated for candidacy by their party and they either run independent or partner with other parties
- People will only choose from the alternatives they have for that reason all those who earlier supported other parties and now want to vote for PTI cannot be termed as lotas. The doors of the party are open to all but tickets will be awarded to those who have a good record and generally perceived to be clean and that meet our selection criteria.
- PTI is not opposed to forming strategic alliances with likeminded parties and groups, which may include strategic seat adjustments where necessary. We however are opposed to partnering with groups and parties who have perpetuated bad governance.
- IK is our most recognized face; however there are others that represent the party on various forums. We also have a team of experts who helped draw the 100 day plan. The plan will be announced in a policy handbook due for release shortly and will also serve to introduce our team of experts with their TORs and brief resumes. We are a democratic party that is scheduled to hold internal elections
- PTI has developed a 100-day plan to implement when it comes into power. This is a live document and its first version was completed in July 2011 which elaborates the party position on issues ranging from Power Policy, Agriculture, Textile, and Terrorism to Good Governance. Currently it is being updated by including a five year budget projection and we expect this to be ready by May next year when its details will be made public. This is a serious document and we don't want to rush into going public with unfinished details.
- We can confidently say that our party has the will required and is ably supported by people who have a successful track record in the public and private sector. A group of experts is actively developing an action plan that will be released shortly in the form of a party handbook.
- PTI is focused party with clear and defined goals of establishing a modern Islamic welfare state. Individuals who join a party to pursue common goals sometimes do not agree on the road map and choose to work independently.
- This is work in progress. We have developed a basic framework to improve the economy which is actively being worked upon by our think tanks, an overview is due to be presented shortly in a handbook form listing our directional thrust, which will be backed by a full financial plan in May 2013.
- PTI recognizes that the energy issue must be addressed, aiming at the following desirable points of arrival.
- Convert the current fuel powered thermal generators to coal power thus ensuring stability in the cost of fuel and setting a stage for using local fuel for power generation.
- Pursue USD 7.0 billion investment over a three year period under public private partnership to exploit Thar coal.
- Replace inefficient turbines hydro electric power plants with more efficient turbines.
- Initiate steps to conserve energy
- A welfare state where the laws are defined within the guide lines provided in Quran.
- Party tickets will be awarded strictly in keeping with a selection criterion that aims to weed out people of less than desirable repute.
- This is a concern that we share and have therefore scheduled a series of steps that include registration of party members, development and maintenance of a party roster and issuing members party membership cards and conducting party polls. We believe that internal elections will throw up young party leadership. We also believe that the days of contesting clan based elections are fast coming to an end. Our younger fresh and enlightened candidates will prove formidable opponents for the old traditional politicians.
- We recognize the need to develop a structure that facilitates input from citizens, and are actively pursuing development of a listening strategy. The strategy covers establishment of a web site as well as an interactive call center that receives, records and escalates input as appropriate
- If one was to believe our air chief that our air force is capable of shooting down these offenders, then the only thing preventing our air force is a command to shoot. The fact that the air force has been restrained is indicative of either the US forces having tacit approval of our current rulers or they are simply petrified of the consequences that are likely to follow a shooting down incident.
- We appreciate that downing a drone is likely to trigger an open conflict with far reaching consequences; therefore the option needs careful assessment. We propose to go about the matter in a measured manner; firstly we will analyze if there are any bilateral agreements allowing drone operations, share the findings and take the nation into confidence. If indeed there are agreements as we suspect then we will quickly move to repeal these. If however there are no agreements or after we repeal any existing agreement we will stop material assistance to NATO and ISAF, minimize US foot print in our country and raise the issue in United Nation. We hope to stop these intrusions through active diplomacy failing which we don't rule out tasking our forces to deal with the intruder with its full might.
- PTI has and will continue to condemn all forms of terrorism whether it is perpetuated by state, party, or individual. PTI believes that denying the adversaries a reason to exist, backed by a political engagement from a position of moral and military strength is the best way to address the growing militancy. Using military power in isolation does not address the problem in its entirety, and will not help achieve long term solution
- Imran Khan's income is derived mostly from his expert comments at Cricket matches, to some occasional appearance fees for marketing promotional videos. He files his income tax return regularly from his director position at the Shukat Khanum Hospital.
- PTI is supported by a growing number of ordinary Pakistanis, who have so far been contributing and sponsoring various events. These are well meaning citizens who contribute to the cause and while we would want to be totally transparent however in the face of threat of reprisals most donors do not desire disclosure.
- Going forward we are channelizing these sources by establishing a special collection bank account which will be open for viewing to people for a small fee. For the record we are confident to raise over ten billion in a year to fund our political activities.
- You need two things to achieve this goal, will and skill. We surely have the will and motivation within the party to pursue the cause, we also recognize that tracing and retrieving would require special skills that we don't have, however such services are available. We are engaged with professional with proven track record in recovering from fraud and financial irregularities. These companies have expertise in evidence gathering, forensic and litigation, and resolving complex cross border complex disputes. While such services have been available internationally at affordable prices, the fact that our opponents question the modalities of recovery demonstrates how indifferent they have been to the issue.
- In the interest of secrecy it is not appropriate to go into further details, but you could search the net and find more on how easy or difficult it is to retrieve stolen national wealth.
- Our political system at the very least condones if not outright promote corruption. Corruption starts when an aspiring assembly member spends over 20 million rupees on his campaign and braces for a growth in personal expenses post election, driven by his constituents seeking his help. He therefore focuses on looking for money making opportunities and while he is busy seeking contracts and favors he is the last person to hold government functionaries accountable for wrong doings.
- The party has resolved to meet campaign expenses for its candidates and support them post being elected, for this purpose a massive and effective fund raising campaign has been initiated. With the party supporting its candidates there will be no compulsion to resort to corrupt practices to meet expenses related to campaigning, and all contract awards and monitoring will be transparent and open to scrutiny.
- We have also developed plans to make government conduct in contract awards transparent, and minimize personal interaction between citizens seeking assistance and functionaries servicing these requests so there are fewer avenues of financial impropriatory.
- Anyone found to be involved in any corrupt practices will be made an example of. PTI will take steps to minimize personal interaction between publics and state functionaries.
- MQM styles itself as a mature political party that has openly expressed its opposition to violence, and we don't believe that they would resort to violence to stop public from expressing their support for PTI. Don't forget that the youth supporting PTI come from the same socio economic back ground and are the children of Karachi.